Application Requirements

Students from various achievement levels, as indicated by their official school transcripts, are encouraged to apply for admission to Saint Paul's College. The Admissions Committee will consider a combination of factors and characteristics in deciding whether an applicant will be granted admission including:

  1. Grade Point Average
  2. SAT or ACT scores
  3. Recommendations (A minimum of two)
The College has various programs to assist students who are admitted with certain deficiencies. Placement exams are administered in reading, vocabulary, writing, and mathematics before registration. Students with deficiencies are assigned appropriate developmental courses to help remedy their weaknesses. Students admitted conditionally must meet the College's standards of satisfactory academic progress in order to remain at the College.

How to Apply

  1. File an application for admission with an application fee of $20, which is non-refundable and may not be applied to other college fees.
  2. Submit character references on forms supplied by the College.
  3. Submit record of scholastic achievement.
  4. Submit SAT or ACT scores.

A candidate for admission must submit an official transcript of his/her academic record, which shows that he/she is a graduate of an accredited high school. The transcript of record must reflect that the candidate has completed basic academic requirements for English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Sciences. A student submitting a high school equivalency certificate awarded by an authorized agency and supported with test scores can be admitted to the College. Any high school credits earned by the candidate must be submitted along with the GED. Every first time applicant for admission is required to take the Scholastic Aptitude Test or Achievement Collegiate Test of the College Entrance Examination Board.

Foreign Students – Saint Paul's College was initially approved by the United States Secretary of Labor in 1931, as an institution of learning for immigrant students. The College was re-certified by the U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, October 18, 1985. The College accepts qualified foreign students who meet the admission requirements and submit proof of financial responsibility. Upon completion of the above listed steps, a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and language Students is issued (Form I-20).

Non-Degree Students
Students who are not candidates for a degree but are qualified to pursue college courses can be admitted at the discretion of the Director of Enrollment Management as a Non-Degree student. Non-Degree students are required to take all regular examinations in the course and are expected to maintain at least a "C" average. These students must file an application each semester and pay the standard application fee of $20.00. The application is obtained from the Office of Enrollment Management.

A Non-Degree student may become a candidate for a degree upon completing an application for admission and submitting all supporting documents required for admission.

Under certain conditions, a non-degree student may be approved to receive the following reductions in tuition:

  1. For the first nine (9) credit hours attempted, the charge will be computed at one-half (1/2) of the normal credit hour charge.
  2. For all credit hours attempted beyond the first nine hours, the tuition charge will be assessed at full rate per credit hour (Non-degree students will pay the general fees on a prorated basis).

A person who has not met the minimum admission requirements set by the College may be admitted for study as a non-degree student if he/she demonstrates an ability to do work on the college level. Such a student may become a candidate for a degree only when regular requirements have been met. Non-degree students are accepted during any registration period under the following criteria:

  1. The student holds a bachelor's degree.
  2. The student has graduated from an accredited high school (or its equivalent) but has not met college admission requirements or who has no present plans to pursue a degree.
  3. The student desires to enroll at Saint Paul's College temporarily and transfer credits to his/her original institution. NOTE: The student must provide evidence that he or she is in good academic standing at an accredited college or university.

Transfer Students – Graduates of community colleges and/or other accredited junior college institutions can generally be admitted with junior standing. The transfer student will be assigned to a faculty academic advisor from the discipline that he/she selects as a major. The advisor will assist the student in designing/planning his/her course of study or academic program, as may be unique or specific for completion of degree requirements for a given major. Credit for specialized courses will be allowed based on their relationship to the requirements in the intended major with Saint Paul's College. Students who transfer to Saint Paul's College before graduation from a community college, an accredited junior or senior college/university will receive credit for work completed on a course to course basis. Credit is allowed for courses completed, which can be considered equivalent to those required at Saint Paul's College. The College does not accept any developmental courses as transfer course work completed at a grade level lower than "C."

Evaluation of Transfer Credits – Transcripts are evaluated by the Chairperson of the department in which the applicant plans to major. All transfer course work completed with a "C" or better will be entered in the student's permanent record, credits may be disallowed in specific programs if not comparable to that required for a degree at Saint Paul's College.

Veterans – Saint Paul's College is approved for training of veterans. Service experience and/or study, upon presentation of proper certificates, will be evaluated and appropriate credit toward graduation will be granted. The Guide to the Evaluation of Experiences in the Armed Services is used to evaluate service experience and/or study. Veterans Administration benefit claims are processed through the Office of Registration and Records.

An applicant for admission who presents an unusual background in terms of satisfying certain courses in the general education program may be granted credit by examination through entrance, and/or placement test scores. Such credit will be awarded after a careful review of the applicant's test scores and overall preparation for college. The granting of credit by examination gives the student a wider range of course selection and may reduce the amount of time required to earn a degree. A student may receive advanced credit up to, but not to exceed, 24 semester hours. The College Level Entry Program (CLEP), sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, is the primary instrument used for advanced placement. Students will be considered for credit in a given courses(s) who took the CLEP Test(s) at a CLEP Center and had the score(s) forwarded, along with a request for advanced placement consideration, to the College prior to enrollment. Credits for CLEP tests taken prior to enrollment will be treated in the same manner as transfer credits with recommendation from the department chair and the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost. Advanced credit by examination, based on the College Placement Tests, may be used upon written request of a student when a CLEP score cannot be obtained. Advanced credits by examination will not be considered in the calculation of the student's cumulative GPA; however, the credits will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Students who take the CLEP after enrollment or receive advanced credit based on the College Placement Tests will be required to pay the College's established fee for credit by examination for enrolled students.

Entering students whose secondary school background include successful completion of Advanced Placement courses, comparable to certain 100 level course required of freshman students are granted advanced placement in those courses provided that there is proper documentation (scores of 3, 3, or 5 will be accepted) and if such courses are required in their program of study. These areas of study are: Business Skills, English, Foreign Language, Mathematics, and Biology.

A physical examination and a current immunization record are required for each new student prior to entering Saint Paul's College. If not, this examination will be given by the College Physician, at a reasonable cost, in order to obtain a factual evaluation of the student's health. Most importantly, all health records must be approved by the College prior to a student attending classes at the College. In order to participate in intercollegiate athletics, all students must undergo a physical examination by the College physician. For further information see the Student Handbook.

All new students must report to the College on the designated day for New Student Orientation Week, at which time information will be given concerning the campus, surroundings, rules, regulations, and schedules. Students are requested to complete their registration, pay their fees, and meet all other requirements, so that they may be ready for class assignments on opening day. Students failing to report to classes on this date will be considered late registrants. First-time freshman and transfer students with fewer than twenty-five (25) semester hours of transfer credits, as well as all conditionally accepted students are required to take ORIE-100 and 110. Attendance at weekly Chapel/Assembly, Convocations and Special Programs is a requirement associated with the program of Orientation.

Students who are returning to Saint Paul's College after a one-semester absence or more are required to complete a Readmission Application. Readmission Applications are available in the Office of Enrollment Management.

Saint Paul's College Students may be permitted to take courses at other colleges provided that the student meets the following requirements:

  1. Has a 2.00 cumulative GPA;
  2. Has not previously taken the course;
  3. Recommended by the department chairperson and approval granted by the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost prior to taking the course.

Courses in General Education may not be taken at other colleges in transient status. The student assumes responsibility for requesting a transcript (official) to be sent to the Office of Registration and Records at Saint Paul's College from the college/university attended. The application for "STUDY AWAY FROM SAINT PAUL'S" may be obtained from the Office of Registration and Records. Final approval for transient status is granted in the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost's Office. Students who wish to receive credit for work taken at another institution must obtain written permission to transfer such credits. This permission must be obtained prior to taking the particular course(s) for which the credit is desired. It is recommended that the department chair, Vice President for Academic Affairs /Provost and Director of Registration and Records be consulted and the proper form completed.

The transfer transaction may be processed after the completion of the course. The student's transcript or academic record will reflect the credits received but the credit hours and quality points for work taken elsewhere will not be included in the calculation of the student's GPA except if the student is graduating with honors. A transient student who wishes to transfer his/her home institution or a student who wishes to transfer to another institution must request an official transcript of his/her credits to be issued to that institution according to the transcript policy.